Skip to product information
  • Caus - Black Peppercorn Scented Luxury Soy Candle (250ml) - Oswald's Tree Candle Co.
  • Caus - Black Peppercorn Scented Luxury Soy Candle (250ml) - Oswald's Tree Candle Co.
1 of 2

Oswald's Tree Candle Co.

Caus - Black Peppercorn Scented Luxury Soy Candle (250ml)

Regular price £10.00 GBP
Regular price Sale price £10.00 GBP
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.

This rich fragrance has top notes of black pepper, ginger, and lemon. The scent gives way to softer middle notes of violet leaf, basil, and coriander with a base of ambergris, vetiver, and oakmoss.

This amazingly scented candle burns for approximately 35 hours and has a strong scent throw that will fully fragrance an average-sized room.

Inspiration

Caus Castle is situated upon the eastern foothills of the Long Mountain guarding the route from Shrewsbury to Montgomery (in Wales) on the border between England and Wales.

It is highly likely that the outer earthworks at Caus Castle were originally those of an Iron Age fort, adapted in medieval times to form the outer bailey of this impressive castle. The site consists of a very high motte with a small summit, topped with the ruins of a small stone tower; and a massively defended inner bailey. Caus Castle was erected by William Corbet in the 1070’s and was so important for the defence of the Welsh Marches that the Crown provided money for the maintenance of its defensive structures.

In the late 11th century, the Corbets were the most powerful tenants of the earls of Shrewsbury in this area, and Old Caus was probably built as part of the initial Norman settlement of the area. Caus Castle takes its name from Pays de Caux in Normandy which was the home of the Corbets.

Roger le Corbet (or Fitz Corbet) was granted several manors in Shropshire in 1069 by William the Conqueror as the Barony of Caus for his role in the invasion of England.
The castle was sufficiently important that the Crown took an interest in its maintenance. King Henry II had it garrisoned in 1165 and in 1198 Roger Corbet re-built the tower, keep, and curtain wall in stone. During the late 12th century a town or borough was founded in the large outer bailey.

By the 13th century, Caus Castle was one of the best defensive sites along the Welsh Marches. The building work of 1263 by Thomas Corbet was funded by Henry III with a grant of 50 marks and included adding D-shaped towers to the curtain wall of 1198, these towers survive to some extent on the site. On the death of Beatrice Corbet in 1347 Caus passed to the Earl of Stafford

Caus was garrisoned by the Griffith ap Ieuan ap Madoc ap Gwenwys against the rebellion of the Welsh Prince Owain Glyn Dwr in the 1400's, but following calls from the Welsh he changed sides and supported Glyndwr. As a result, his family lands and role at Caus Castle were forfeited in 1404, only to be restored by Henry V in 1419 after his sons Ieuan ap Griffith and Sir Griffith Vaughan captured the outlaw John Oldcastle for Lord Charlton of Powis.

Prior to the main conflict in the Wars of the Roses, in 1443 Sir Griffith Vaughan (or Gruffydd Fychan), Ieuan ap Griffith, and their tenants murdered Sir Christopher Talbot, son of John Talbot first Earl of Shrewsbury and champion jouster of England, at Caus Castle for which their family lands were again forfeited, this time to Henry VI.

A Deserted medieval borough was established next to the castle, primarily to serve Caus Castle. This borough was probably established by Roger de Corbet and was in existence by 1200 when the grant of a weekly market was obtained. The borough was encircled with a wall and two gates before 1300 and adjoined Caus Castle to the north and west. In 1349, 58 burgesses were recorded as living there.

In 1521 Caus Castle is described as being in decay and the Earl of Stafford and his family rarely used it at this time. After an episode of the Black Death Caus borough followed it into decay and the last mention of a tenanted house there was in 1614.

A Parliamentarian news-sheet dated 27th August 1645 lists the royalist garrisons of castles in Shropshire and Caus Castle is listed as one of them. It is likely that Caus Castle was destroyed at this time to prevent it from being used as a defensive base by the Royalists. The interior street of the borough between East Gate and Wallop Gate was in use as part of a field road in 1816.

In modern popular culture it was reimagined for the 2020 game Assasin's Creed Vahalla (see below)

Allergens

3-(O&P-ETHYLPHENYL)-2,2-DIMETHYLPROPIONALDEHYDE, ACETYLCEDRENE, CITRAL, CITRONELLOL, LIMONENE, LINALOOL, LINALYL ACETATE, PENTADECALACTONE, TETRAHYDROLINALOOL, TETRAMETHYLACETYLOCTAHYDRONAPHTHALENES.

Safety

Never leave a burning candle unattended. Burn candles out of reach of children and pets. Always leave about 10cm between burning candles. Do not burn candles on or near anything that may catch fire. Only burn this candle on a level, heat-resistant surface. 

Never burn this candle for more than 4 hours at a time. Do not allow the flame to touch the glass. On the first burn, always burn for 3-4 hours to ensure an even melt pool. Ensure the wick is upright, above the wax, and central before the wax sets. Always trim the wick to 5mm before lighting to avoid smoking and damage to the glass. Glass may become hot during use. Extinguish when 5mm of wax remains and do not relight.